About Me

Hi! I'm Becca Fitzpatrick, the author of the internationally bestselling HUSH, HUSH saga. When not writing, I'm most likely running, prowling sale racks for shoes (stilettos, please!), or enjoying one of life's many little indulgences: Ice cream, Veronica Mars, losing myself in a book, painting my toenails, or simply daydreaming. I do my best to update this blog as frequently as possible with news on upcoming events, tips for writers, and all things pertaining to my books.

20 July 2011

Triathlon!

I can't believe it's here! I've been training for this sprint triathlon for eight weeks, and I'm suddenly wishing I had about five more. Last-minute jitters for sure! Tomorrow morning I fly to Salt Lake City, followed by a drive up to Pocatello, Idaho, where the triathlon will be held. (My mom lives in Pocatello and will be doing the triathlon with me. Yes, my mom is hardcore.)

I competed in this triathlon three years ago, and while I didn't train for it then, I was in a lot better shape than I am now. That was pre-Hush, Hush--back before writing took over my life. In a good way, of course. But still. Writing has become a huge part of my life and takes up a substantial amount of time. I've spent the past year working hard to balance my writing life with my family, and this summer I felt a big desire to get back in shape by making my physical health more of a priority. Maybe next year I'll tackle regaining a social life, ha!

Here are my 2008 times for the Pocatello Sprint Triathlon:

5k run - 21:02
20k bike - 48:17 (This isn't as abysmal as it looks; I was on a mountain bike.)
500 meter swim - 19:51 (This, however, is pathetic!)
Overall time - 1:29:10

The plan this year is to start slower and gradually build through the race. I want to shave a few minutes off the bike portion, and I really, really want to have the energy at the end to nail the swim. I've been a runner for years; now I want to prove to myself that I can bike and swim.

Part of me hopes I do really well, especially since I've trained so hard. Another part of me hopes this is a huge wake-up call and makes me realize I really do need to leave my desk a few times a week to work out. We'll see what happens!

In the meantime, I am packed, pumped, and ready to go!

GU energy gel packs? CHECK
Goggles? CHECK
Cute but functional triathlon tankini from Athleta? CHECK
Running shoes? CHECK
Box of See's Candies to celebrate with, post-race? CHECK


Wish me luck!!

-Becca

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

WISHING you LUCK! I can't wait til my body is back to pre-baby form. Use to run 4 miles every night. I will defiantly be cheering for you. :]

JennM said...

Good luck, Becca!! So proud of you!

**~{KARiSXox.}~** said...

Wow! That's awsome becca, you did better then I could! Good luck this year hope you achieve your goals!!!!

Jaskirat@SeeitORreadit said...

Have a great time!

hushhushbigestfan said...

Good luck!!!! I am not training for anything, but i can do 59 laps swimming, 11 miles bike ridding, and 5 miles running. Mind you, ill be SOOOOOO tired afterward, but non the less, i can do it. Good luck!!!! I practice bike ridding more than anything else. Down hill one way... uphill the way back. Hoping you win!

Becca Fitzpatrick said...

Thanks everyone! I made it to Idaho. One more day to go!!

Wendy Adams said...

Good luck Becca!!! You'll do fine. Let us know how you go.

hushhushbigestfan said...

Good luck!!!

Theresa said...

Becca-
Good Luck!!
I just wanted to let you know that I'm excited to start reading your Hush,Hush series!! I need to go buy them, but I've heard so much about them that I can't wait. Thanks for all you do for us readers!!
Theresa
rtnorman2@gmail.com