About Me

Hi! I'm Becca Fitzpatrick, the author of the internationally bestselling HUSH, HUSH saga. When not writing, I'm most likely running, prowling sale racks for shoes (stilettos, please!), or enjoying one of life's many little indulgences: Ice cream, Veronica Mars, losing myself in a book, painting my toenails, or simply daydreaming. I do my best to update this blog as frequently as possible with news on upcoming events, tips for writers, and all things pertaining to my books.

16 September 2011

Short Note on My Upcoming Events

Hey guys!

Silence is out in just over two weeks, and that means my brain is starting to kick into Tour Mode. I wake up in the middle of the night, panicking over things that still have to be done before I leave. Fill the pantry with enough snacks to last a month. Schedule housekeeper to fill in while I'm away. Find store that sells travel-size mousse.

Last night's middle-of-the-night epiphany was that I should let my readers know what to expect at a bookstore event. Especially those readers who've never been to an author signing before. When I went to my first author signing, I had NO idea what it would be like, and I was really nervous! But you shouldn't be. I'm giving you a cheat-sheet!

Some tips:

1. Call the bookstore ahead OR check their website for details. Once, in St. Louis, I had the wrong address for an event posted on my website. Two girls literally drove all over the city trying to find me, eventually finding the correct location minutes before the event ended. I felt awful! I do my best to make sure the information on my website is correct, but it never hurts to double-check. Also, several of my events this year are ticketed, or require an RSVP. I'd hate for readers to show up at an event only to learn they needed to pick up a ticket prior to the event. I know for certain that my event at the Provo City Library on October 11th requires a ticket, and my event at the Wellesley Free Library on October 16th requires an RSVP.

One last word on this topic. Every bookstore has a different policy when it comes to bringing in outside books. Some allow you to bring as many books from home as you want. Some require you to purchase at least one book from their store if you plan on bringing previously purchased books for me to sign. And some absolutely do not allow outside books. A quick call to the bookstore will end any confusion.

2. Keep it spoiler free. At almost every event, I allow 10 - 15 minutes at the end of my "talk" for questions. Inevitably, there will be one reader who asks a very spoilery question in front of the whole audience. Like, "Why did Vee die at the end of Crescendo?" (Okay, Vee didn't really die. That was just an example.) Please, please, please try to keep group questions spoiler free. Not everyone in the audience has read all of my books, and I don't want to spoil the fun for them. The best time to ask spoilery questions is when I'm signing your book. It's just you and me during that minute or two, so go ahead and hit me with every burning question you've got!

3. Pictures. I absolutely allow them. Bring your cameras :)

4. Have fun! I think most authors would agree that the best part of touring is meeting you guys! It makes the horrendously early flights, inevitable weight gain, and hectic scheduling so worth it. I love seeing your smiles, hearing your reactions to my books, and feeling that instant spark that happens when two booklovers meet. You might come to an event to see me, but I come to see you.

One final note here. Yes, you're allowed to dress up! But by no means is it required. Bring your halo, your wings, or even your black skinny jeans. I will probably be wearing a wrinkle-free dress or jeans :)

I think that's everything. I can't wait to meet many of you. October or bust!

-Becca

With Kiersten White and Lisa McMann on my first Hush, Hush tour!

3 comments:

Jaskirat@SeeitORreadit said...

Wow that sounds like a lot of fun!You look great and congrats on the upcoming release of Silence. I hope you come to Canada...fingers crossed ;)

hushhushbigestfan said...

Cool. I so wish you'd come to colorado. my friends and i adore you and got half the school to read your books. Mind you, not everyone liked it, but a vast majorady did. Well thank you!

Evangeline said...

Oh my good-gracious-golly!! Let me get started on this...lessee--black wings: check. Skinny jeans: so not happening. Um....check. Halo: eh....I can make it work. Check. Book: check. Now what am I missing?? ....oh yeah, that's right--YOU. You're not coming to Arizona. And I don't have the gas money to drive all the way to Cali...not that I wouldn't love to since I miss Cali. *sigh* I'll just sit in the corner and pretend you're signing my book like some weird freak with no life.... :(((